Yemen rebels report strikes kill dozens

SANAA, Yemen (AP) — Saudi-led coalition airstrikes killed nearly 30 people in Yemen Thursday, including four women and 22 children, Shiite rebel media reported. But the state media of United Arab Emirates, a key coalition member, disputed the claim and said the rebels launched the attack, killing one child and injuring dozens.

Mohammed Abdul-Salam, spokesman for the Houthi rebels, said on Twitter the coalition attack took place in the ad-Durayhimi district, 20 kilometers from the port city Hodeida in the country’s west.

Other Houthi officials provided lower initial figures saying at least nine were killed. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief the media.

The UAE’s official news agency WAM, however, reported the Houthis launched a ballistic missile in the area killing one child and injuring dozens.

Neither side’s claims could be independently verified.

Earlier this month, a Saudi-led coalition airstrike in the country’s north killed dozens of people. Tebel-run Al-Masirah reported at least 51 people, including 40 children, were killed and 79 others, including 56 children, were wounded in the airstrike, citing the Yemeni Health Ministry in the capital Sanaa, which is under rebel control.

The Saudi-led coalition said it would investigate.

Also Thursday, the Houthis claimed to have hit a Saudi target in the kingdom’s waters but the coalition said the attack was thwarted.

Al Masirah TV reported the rebels “hit a military target with a suitable weapon.” It quoted an unnamed Houthi official as saying the target was hit “accurately.”