Carey stays alive, SW loses to Arcadia

FINDLAY – Each came down to the very end, but each went a different way.

Carey caught a break when an Arlington inbound pass sailed long with 3.6 seconds left to preserve a win, while St. Wendelin had a game-tying try rattle out just before the buzzer Saturday in a pair of Division IV sectional finals at Findlay High.

Carey upended Arlington 57-52, but only pushed the lead to five points after Arlington’s 10th turnover of the game late and a three-point play at the other end.

St. Wendelin fell 43-41 to Arcadia in the nightcap when Allie Rutter’s jumper from just inside the key rattled out.

The results send Carey and Arcadia on to the district in Gibsonburg out of a sectional where five of the six teams entered with at least 15 wins.

“Arlington’s such a good basketball team, good program,” Carey coach Phil Vaughn said. “We knew it was going to be a tough game. If you can find another sectional with a 5 seed that has 15 or 16 wins anywhere, you’re talking about a pretty even five teams over here, I thought.

“Feel fortunate to win the game and move on,” he said.

It appeared the Blue Devils might not do that late in the first half.

Sydney Wentling’s 3-pointer with 5:35 left in the second quarter cut Arlington’s lead to 12-11, but the Red Devils countered with 10-3 run, capped by Dani Heaster’s trey at the 2:35 mark, for a 22-14 lead.

But Carey ended on a roll, getting a bucket from Wentling and two from Ali Rymer to cut the gap to 24-20 by the break.

It stayed close from there, but Arlington kept the lead until Makenzie Wentling nailed a 3, drew a foul and completed a four-poin play with 2:24 to go in the third.

That put the Blue Devils up 32-29 and they never trailed again.

But they also couldn’t shake the Red Devils.

Carey pushed its lead to 45-37 on two Rymer foul shots with 4:52 to go in the fourth quarter, but Hannah Johnson’s three-point play with 2:07 left capped a surge that got Arlington within 47-46, and she converted a turnover into a layup to cut Carey’s lead to 53-52 with 9.2 seconds to go.

Forced to foul, Arlington sent Hannah Draper to the line and she split her tries to put the Blue Devils up 54-52 with 7.9 seconds left.

Arlington hustled down the court and called timeout with 4.5 seconds left to set up a play – an inbound throw from the sideline to the hoop for Dani Heaster.

But the throw went long.

“Just threw it a little too far. Worked on that play yesterday, it worked great; we did a lot of situational things like that,” Arlington coach Seth Newlove said. “It worked great yesterday. I thought we had her open today, but the pass went off her fingers a little bit. It was unfortunate.”

Ali Rymer then found a sprinting Draper going the other way, and Draper completed a three-point play with 1.8 seconds to go for the final margin.

“Just proud of the girls ’cause we buckled down when we had to buckle down,” Vaughn said. “I think we were down eight or nine in the first half and got the run right before halftime, and that was important to get it down to four, I think it was, and then that run in the third quarter to get us on top.”

Rymer led the winners with 16 points and 12 rebounds, Draper tallied 14 points and three assists, Sydney Wentling netted 12 points and Makenzie Wentling added 10 points and three assists.

The Red Devils got 13 points from Johnson and 12 from Heaster.

The second game ended with the same drama.

St. Wendelin entered the fourth quarter up 35-31, but two Maddie Mock buckets over the first 2 1/2 minutes of the period knotted the game at 35.

Kamry Troike scored inside for St. Wendelin on the next possession, but Molly Glick’s reverse layup along the baseline for Arcadia tied the game again with 4:15 to go.

It stayed tied a controversial call turned the game at the 2:46 mark.

Glick drove in against a planted Troike, lofted a shot and drew a whistle as the ball went in for a 39-37 Arcadia lead.

Comments from the St. Wendelin bench then drew a technical.

Officials then let Arcadia’s Courtney Cramer go to the line to attempt the foul shots for the technical foul. She missed the first, and then the officials stopped action to huddle.

They explained to the coaches they had accidentally let Cramer shoot out of turn, then put Glick at the line for her foul shot.

Glick missed her chance, and then Cramer returned and was awarded to more tries.

She missed the first and made the second to push Arcadia’s lead to 40-37.

Cramer added two foul shots with 1:20 left to play for a 42-37 lead, but the Mohawks bounced back when Taylor Williams hit a 3-pointer, drew a foul and sank a free throw to complete a four-point play and make it 42-41 with 51.6 seconds left.

Cramer split a pair of free throws 37 seconds later for Arcadia, leaving one more chance for St. Wendelin.

“We won 18 games, nobody expected us to do that. We could have won tonight,” St. Wendelin coach Aaron Smith said. “We called the play; the last play was either in to Kam if she’s wide open, if not, Rutter takes a 3 and we get out of here.

“Got to give her credit. She stepped up, took the shot,” he said. “It looked like it was on line and it just didn’t hang in there.”

Cramer’s 16 points led Arcadia, Maddie Mock scored 11 and Glick had eight. Rebecca Kirian grabbed seven rebounds for the Redskins, who struggled through a 6-for-14 effort at the line.

“Couldn’t make the foul shots and they hit a 3-pointer and we fouled the shooter there and made it a little more interesting and it came down to the last 0.5 seconds,” Arcadia coach Randy Baker said.

“We’ll have to work on some foul shooting in practice on Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday,” he said.

Troike dominated the inside with 20 points and 14 rebounds for St. Wendelin. Makenzie McAfee chipped in eight points.

“We did everything we wanted to do, we just didn’t win the game. We were just a shot off. One of Kam’s bankers goes in, we’re taking a shot to win the game,” Smith said.

“We knew tonight was going to be a tight one. It’s hard to beat a team the caliber of Arcadia twice,” he said. “He fixed some things we got away with the first game and we fixed some things that hurt us the first game, and then it comes down to one shot.”