Ohio briefly, Oct. 9

Historic tollbooth and post office to reopen to public

CINCINNATI (AP) — A 19th-century Ohio toll house and post office has been restored and is reopening to the public.

The Coleraine Historical Society will dedicate the Blue Rock/Banning Toll House and Creedville Post Office at Colerain Heritage Park on Oct. 29.

The toll house was built in 1829 after lawmakers approved charging for road use. It originally was located at Blue Rock and Banning roads and became the Creedville Post Office and General Store as early as 1879.

The building’s use as a post office ended in 1905.

Historical society members took possession of the building and moved it into storage in 2002. Group treasurer Chris Henson says a descendant of Creedville’s first postmaster will cut the ribbon for the reopening.

Private baseball museum to host public fundraiser

MONTGOMERY (AP) — A private Ohio baseball museum is opening its doors to the public for a good cause next weekend.

The Green Diamond Gallery in Montgomery is hosting an open house from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday that will allow people to view the gallery’s extensive baseball memorabilia collection. The museum features game jerseys, photographs and other special artifacts and is considered one of the best collections of memorabilia outside the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York.

The cost is $20.

Proceeds from the open house benefit Green Diamond’s Character & Courage Foundation. The foundation uses baseball to help children who are disabled, have life-threatening illnesses or live in low-income neighborhoods.

14-year-old may be charged as adult

FREMONT (AP) — A Juvenile court judge in northwest Ohio has ordered a 14-year-old boy to undergo mental and background evaluations to determine whether he should face adult charges in the fatal shooting of his 14-year-old cousin.

Sandusky County Prosecutor Tim Braun said in court Friday the teen was “gambling with other people’s lives” when he killed Jaylen Brock last month in Fremont.

Witnesses testified the teen had a revolver loaded with two rounds. They said he pointed it at Jaylen and another boy, pulled the trigger and nothing happened. The second time he pulled the trigger, he shot his cousin in the chest.

The teen faces murder and other juvenile charges. His attorney argues the shooting was an accident.

The Associated Press generally does not identify juveniles charged with crimes.

Teen judged competent to stand trial

SPRINGFIELD (AP) — An Ohio teenager charged as an adult for the killing of his younger brother last year after an argument over Halloween candy has been ruled competent to stand trial.

The Springfield News-Sun reported a Clark County judge says 16-year-old Nicholas Starling, of Springfield, is able to understand court procedures and assist his attorney.

Public defender James Marshall previously tried entering a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity for Starling. Marshall couldn’t be reached for comment Sunday.

Authorities say Starling killed 14-year-old Harley Starling last October. Police say he told detectives he went into his brother’s bedroom and hit him in the head multiple times with a baseball bat before stabbing him in the neck.

Ohio groups split with NRA on bump stocks

COLUMBUS (AP) — Ohio gun groups say they oppose any bans on a gun accessory called bump stocks used by the Las Vegas mass shooter to turn semi-automatic rifles into rapid-fire automatic weapons.

The Dispatch reports the Buckeye Firearms Association and Ohioans for Concealed Carry say a ban would be a threat to American gun rights.

Stephen Paddock equipped rifles with bump stocks that he used to kill 58 people and wound hundreds from a Las Vegas hotel room a week ago.

Buckeye Firearms Executive Director Dean Rieck said in an email to supporters Friday that a ban would create a “slippery slope” that could further some people’s goals to “take our guns away.”

Concealed Carry said it’s opposed to any “knee-jerk bans” on gun accessories “demonized” by the media.

Woman says officer slammed her

to ground, put hands around throat

CLEVELAND (AP) — A woman who spent five days in jail for what police internal affairs investigators concluded was a false charge of assaulting a police officer said the officer choked her and slammed her to the ground.

Cleveland.com reported 18-year-old Angelina Martinez, of Lakewood, said in a telephone interview she thought she was going to die when Sgt. Christopher Graham picked her up by the throat and threw her to the pavement Sept. 12.

“I couldn’t breathe with his hands around my throat,” Martinez said. “When he put me in handcuffs, I was actually relieved because I felt like at least he couldn’t kill me now.”

Graham was charged Thursday with misdemeanor assault and unlawful restraint. He pleaded not guilty Friday in Cleveland Municipal Court and was allowed to remain free on a personal bond.

The president of Cleveland’s Fraternal Order of Police chapter said the union stands by Graham and will provide him the best defense possible. Graham has been placed on restricted duty pending the outcome of his criminal case.

Martinez said she was with friends at a Cleveland gas station when a fight broke out.

COMMENTS