Family displaced in house fire

Personnel work at the scene of a house fire at 2807 S. SR 4 Thursday afternoon.

SIAM — A family was displaced and a firefighter was hurt fighting a house fire at 2807 S. SR 4 north of Attica Thursday afternoon.

Chief Lonnie Jaynes of Attica-Venice-Reed Fire District said there was fire upstairs and heavy smoke coming from the attic when crews arrived at the scene. The homeowner was inside the home when crews arrived and personnel were able to get him out of the house, he said. The man’s son and two dogs were out of the home prior to crew’s arrival, Jaynes said.

Nobody in the house was injured, but an Attica-Venice-Reed firefighter was transported by Attica-Venice-Reed EMS District to Mercy Health – Willard Hospital for precautionary reasons, Jaynes said.

Four people lived in the home and the family was displaced, he said. Jaynes said the American Red Cross was contacted, and he did not know where they were staying Thursday night.

The fire started in an upstairs bedroom in the southeast corner of the house, he said. The fire got in a wall and up into the ceiling, Jaynes said.

He said crews got a “quick knockdown” and the fire was put out in about 15 to 20 minutes. Personnel remained at the scene for about two and a half hours completing overhaul and investigating, Jaynes said.

He said the cause of the fire was an electrical malfunction. Jaynes said the owner advised the occupants were having problems with the circuit breaker box and they had reset it three times in a row. The son went upstairs and that’s when he discovered the house was on fire, he said.

The property is owned by Anthony and Traci Frankart, according to the Seneca County Auditor’s Office website. Jaynes said the total loss estimate was about $60,000.

Crews used about 560 gallons of water to put out the fire, he said.

Jaynes said American Electric Power responded to the scene to turn off the power.

The fire was reported at 4:29 p.m. and Attica-Venice-Reed Fire District, Bloom Township Fire Department, Scipio-Republic Fire Department, Attica-Venice-Reed EMS District and the Echo unit responded to the scene.

COMMENTS