Republic council reorganizes
REPUBLIC – During the Republic council organizational meeting Monday evening, Councilman Mike Schreiner was elected to serve as president pro tempore. Mayor Jeff Larick named the 2019 members for the utility, personnel, park, tree, grant and the parade/special events committees.
Police Chief Don Holmer said he is looking into obtaining a Workers‚Äô Compensation grant to defray costs for bullet-proof vests for the department and is investigating using funds from a Public Employees Pool grant to assist with two body cameras for officers. He said his department is joining the Scipio/Republic Fire Department for a hazardous materials training at the fire house 6-8 p.m. Tuesday.
In other business, council:
• Heard that all village funds total $2,031,088.67 with $600,000 of that invested.
• Approved the 2019 edition of the Ohio Basic Code.
• Set a utility committee meeting for 6 p.m. Jan. 21 before the council meeting to discuss the water tower inspection findings.
• Approved an ordinance by emergency measure to amend the pay rates of the police chief, village administrator, fiscal officer, maintenance workers and a part-time officer.
• Heard Larick thank employees for their service to the village.
Council is to meet at 7 p.m. Jan. 21.