Community effort provides smoke detectors at H-L
BASCOM — Bascom-area organizations came together to collect nearly 500 smoke detectors to distribute after a fire claimed the lives of a family of five.
It was a communitywide effort done in support of one another, said Chris Daniel, assistant chief of Bascom Joint Fire District.
“We’ve tried stuff like this. … It’s finally gotten in gear,” Chief Mark DeVault said.
Bascom Joint Fire District, Bascom EMS, Bascom Fire Ladies Auxiliary, Bascom Lions Club, Hopewell-Loudon Local School District, North Central Electric Cooperative, State Fire Marshal’s Office, the village of Lodi, First Alert and community members provided each household with students in Hopewell-Loudon Local School District with a 10-year lithium battery smoke detector.
The smoke detectors were distributed at the school Monday morning.
“We had donations,” said Troy Huth, fire safety educator for State Fire Marshal’s Office and a member of the Bascom Joint Fire District board.
Since 2011, 22 people have died in residential fires in Seneca County, compared to eight in Wyandot County and three in Hancock County, Huth said.
Bascom’s smoke detector campaign started after a fire in October claimed the lives of a family of five.
James R. Rainey, 46, and his wife, Jodi L. Depinet-Rainey, 41; and their children, Austin James Rainey, 19, Cody Steven Rainey, 15, and Jessica Denise Rainey, 7, died in a SR 18 house fire.
Austin graduated from Hopewell-Loudon in 2017, Cody was a sophomore and Jessica was in first grade.
The campaign resulted in the acquisition of 490 smoke detectors.
Huth said donations came from First Alert, Bascom Lions Club, North Central Electric Cooperative, the village of Lodi and an anonymous community member.
North Central Electric Cooperative and Tiell Financial donated bags, and the cooperative’s People Fund also donated more than $3,000 to Bascom Joint Fire District to fund helmets for 10 firefighters.
Those needing help with battery or smoke detector activation can call Bascom Joint Fire District at (419) 937-2346, State Fire Marshal’s Office at (614) 425-4312 or American Red Cross at (844) 207-4509.
People needing 9-volt batteries or to obtain smoke detectors for moderate- to low-income people with hearing impairment should call the Bascom station.