SE students to hear speaker
ATTICA — Elementary school principal Brad Powers announced at the Seneca East school board meeting Monday that Capt. Guy Gruters is scheduled to speak to students in fourth through sixth grade at 1 p.m. Feb. 23 at Seneca East.
“Guy has given speeches and testimonials throughout the United States and around the world and has made numerous television appearances, discussing the heroics of others as well as how he turned hate to love, despair to hope, fear to courage and bitterness into forgiveness,” Powers said. “Please check out www.guygruters.net for more information or go to YouTube and watch some of the speeches he has given. I am in the process of contacting local veterans with an invitation to his presentation.”
Powers also said kindergarten registration forms are available in the elementary office and a parent meeting has been scheduled at 6 p.m. April 5. He encouraged parents to fill out and return the paperwork prior to the meeting.
Doug Mason, Seneca East athletic director, brought in a plaque that was awarded to the Seneca East football team in honor of being named Academic All-Ohio by the Ohio High School Football Coaches Association.
Mason also congratulated the girls and boys varsity basketball teams for successful seasons. The girls have a 17-4 record and are to play Bucyrus or Fostoria at 6 p.m. Feb. 24 in Willard and the boys are 10-8, and are to play Calvert at 6:15 p.m. Feb. 27 in Carey. Both games will be in the sectionals and the girls earned a bye in the first week.
In other business, the board:
• Approved a College Credit Plus agreement with Toledo University for the 2018-19 school year.
• Approved the Dual Enrollment Memorandum of Agreement between Seneca East and Bowling Green State University effective July 1.
• Approved CCP agreement with Heidelberg University for the 2018-19 school year.
• Approved the CCP agreement with Terra State Community College for the 2018-19 school year.
• Approved Play in a Week Acting Camp, Seneca East Drama Club fundraiser, for June 11-15.
• Approved the “no contact” period for all extracurricular activities for June 25-July 4.
• Approved the employment of Martha Laughlin as a home instruction tutor.
• Approved three-year contracts effective Aug. 1, 2019-July 31, 2022, for Don Vogt, principal; Brad Powers, principal; and Laurie Hunker, administration.
• Approved 5-year contracts effective Aug. 1, 2019-July 31, 2024, for Laura Brickner, treasurer; and Theresa Niedermier, assistant treasurer.