Bloomville council has budget worries
BLOOMVILLE — Bloomville council members have concerns about the village’s financial situation.
The finance committee has been brainstorming suggestions for short- and long-term issues. They are proposing that another committee consisting of Councilman Dave Auble, Councilwoman Carol Adams, street superintendent Rick Dentinger, water and sewer superintendent Darin Brown and Ben Blaser be formed to set up an asset management program and share committee proposals at future meetings.
One concern is for police coverage for the community. Meetings are being set to meet with Attica and Republic departments to discuss a contract for mutual law enforcement.
Loss of funds annually operating the swimming pool is a concern. The present park levy has covered those expenses, but paving and regular park maintenance suffers as a result. Auble said changing the pool schedule has been discussed along with holding fundraisers to provide additional funds. Members will continue to seek ways to keep the swimming pool open.
Jan. 1, two council seats are to be vacant. Interested candidates may contact the village office. If no volunteers come forward, the mayor may appoint citizens to the positions by the end of January.
Adams is attending the Seneca County Park District’s preliminary grant meeting today. The park board is to accept applications for 2017-18.
In other action, council:
• Paid bills.
• Announced Santa is to visit Bliss Memorial Public Library 1-3 p.m. Saturday.
• Learned the Red Cross bloodmobile is 12:30-5:30 p.m. Dec. 20 at the Community Center.
• Approved the purchase of a small chainsaw.
• Authorized the clerk/treasurer to realign accounts.
• Reported the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation is mandating the village’s attendance at a meeting in 2018 since a claim was made this year raising its premium to $3,455.
• Hired and set the rate of pay for Kelly Aiello as part-time assistant to the clerk.
• Determined the village would hire a fiscal officer in the future instead of electing the clerk/treasurer.
• Noted the village office is closed Dec. 25.
Council is scheduled to meet at 7 p.m. Dec. 20.