Bloomville VC discusses police
BLOOMVILLE — Bloomville council members expressed concern about what direction the village should go to have police coverage.
Having learned Republic was not interested in developing a contract for coverage of both villages, council discussed its options Wednesday.
Mayor Steve George said there are two choices: Hire a new police chief or contract with the Seneca County Sheriff’s Department.
Council members are to consider both and return for further discussion.
Reduction in Local Government Funding from the state makes it difficult to have funding to hire and maintain adequate staff, they determined.
In other news, two council seats will be vacant as of Jan. 1. Interested residents may contact the village office. If no one shows interest, George may appoint people by the end of January.
Officer in charge Don Holmer said all officers had completed training and are awaiting certificates for qualification.
Seneca County Park District is conducting a preliminary grant meeting for representatives of villages and townships Dec. 7. The district then will accept applications for 2017-18.
In other action, council:
• Congratulated Dave Auble and Ray Sexton for being re-elected to council.
• Paid bills.
• Approved the mayor’s court report.
• Heard the finance committee set a meeting for Monday.
• Approved liquor permits for 2018.
• Learned the village office is closed Thursday and Friday.
• Announced that Santa will be at Bliss Memorial Public Library 1-3 p.m. Dec. 9.
• Stated clear leaf bags are available at the village office for $3 per 10 bags.
Council meets next at 7 p.m. Dec. 6.