Shots fired; man charged

A man was charged with two misdemeanors after officers from multiple agencies worked for several hours to locate a gunman after receiving reports of shots being fired early Thursday morning.

Seth E. McMeen, 24, was arrested and taken to Seneca County Jail. He was charged with inducing panic and discharging a weapon in the city limits, according to Tiffin Police Department.

No one was injured in the shooting or standoff.

The police department initially responded to reports from multiple people of shots being fired around 2 a.m. Thursday. Officers arrived to 228 S. Sandusky St., an apartment building, and went into a nearby alley. An officer saw a person dart toward stairs in the apartment building and smelled gun powder, Chief Fred Stevens said.

Assistance was called in, and about 25 law enforcement officers responded. The police department’s special response team and negotiator team, State Highway Patrol’s special response team and Seneca County Sheriff’s Office assisted. They were at the scene for several hours early Thursday morning.

“All our on-duty people were there,” Stevens said.

Fire and rescue personnel were on standby near the scene.

According to a release, a crisis negotiation team tried to make contact through a loudspeaker from 3 a.m. to 4:30 a.m. Also during that time, the building’s other apartments were evacuated, it states.

State Highway Patrol deployed a robot, which enables law enforcement to see inside a building.

Sgt. Rob Bour of Tiffin Police Department said McMeen came out of the apartment as part of the evacuation process. Four people had been in the apartment at the time of the incident. Bour said he believed they were in the apartment for several hours during the standoff.

Three men and one woman were detained at the police station and were questioned about the shooting. A second man may be charged after further investigation, according to the police department. No one else had been charged Thursday evening.

Several blocks around the scene were blocked during the incident. Also, people who were evacuated from their homes were granted permission to return about 5:15 a.m. A nearby Shell gas station reopened after the incident.

Officials conducted a search warrant to determine where the shots were fired, which weapon was used and who fired the shots. Bureau of Criminal Investigation assisted, Bour said.

There were signs of numerous weapons in the residence upon a search, he said.

Bour said he believed shots were fired inside and outside of the apartment building, and police believe McMeen shot into the air. Bour said he did not know why they were fired.

Alcohol was involved in the incident, Stevens said.

Bour said McMeen is expected to appear in Tiffin Municipal Court at 9 a.m. today.