Fostoria fire displaces residents

FOSTORIA – Residents of two apartments were displaced and a business was closed because of a fire early Thursday morning.

A fire was reported in the area of Main and West North streets, and Fostoria Fire Division responded at 2:37 a.m. The crew determined the fire was at 116 1/2 W. North St., a two-story brick building, according to a release.

The upper floor contains four apartments, with two occupied at the time of the fire, and the bottom floor is home to Flippin’ Jimmy’s restaurant.

According to the release, firefighters located the fire on the second floor. Flames were exiting the second-floor windows along the north side of the apartment unit where two adults and two children lived.

Chief Keith Loreno of Fostoria Fire Division said they all escaped.

“They all got out safely,” he said.

Loreno said they took themselves to ProMedica Fostoria Community Hospital, but he was not sure who wanted to be checked.

The other occupied apartment’s resident was at work at the time of the fire, he said.

Residents of both apartments were displaced. The fire left the upstairs apartments uninhabitable, according to the release.

According to a release from American Red Cross, American Red Cross of Hancock, Seneca and Wyandot Counties volunteers responded to the scene.

The agency is providing shelter for one family and assistance for food, clothing and other immediate needs to both families. It is to continue to work with the families, the release states.

The origin of the fire was on the second floor where the apartments are located.

Some of the electrical components could not be eliminated as the cause of the fire Thursday, the release states.

Loreno said the heaviest fire was in the northeast corner apartment. Flippin’ Jimmy’s was closed so cleanup could begin. Loreno said he did not know how long it would be closed.

A damage estimate was not available Thursday.

Personnel from American Electric Power, Fostoria’s police and water departments, and Tiffin Fire Rescue Division also assisted at the scene.

The apartment where the fire started did not have working smoke detectors, according to the release. Fostoria Fire Division provides free smoke detectors to residents who cannot afford them, it states.