Papa Jimmie’s back in business

Seven months after a fire damaged Papa Jimmie’s in Green Springs, the restaurant is open for business.

Jim Kleinhans, owner of Papa Jimmie’s, said the fire, which occurred Aug. 8, caused about $400,000 in damage, and likely was caused by a meat smoker that overheated.

Kleinhans said there was a “lot of smoke and water damage” and the “entire pizza end had to be rebuilt.”

In addition to rebuilding, he said, work on the restaurant included a new bar top, a lot of painting, a new wood plank floor, some new equipment and code upgrades. Papa Jimmie’s is located at 121 S. Broadway St.

As well as damage to the restaurant, he said, one apartment on the second floor sustained damage in the fire and needed repairs. Kleinhans said he was using the apartment as an office.

A second apartment above the restaurant, which was being rented at the time, was “untouched” by the fire, he said, and the occupants weren’t displaced.

Kleinhans said Richard Zeis was the lead contractor in the rebuilding/remodeling project and he and his crew were “a really big help and did a fantastic job,” and only lost a couple days due to inclement weather.

When the restaurant caught fire, firefighters were at the scene within five minutes of the emergency call, Kleinhans said.

“They always impress me,” he said.

A grand opening celebration is being planned, Kleinhans said.