History of The Advertiser-Tribune
The Advertiser-Tribune can trace its roots to 1832, through the Seneca Advertiser and to its predecessor, the Seneca Patriot.
When John G. Breslin purchased the Van Burenite, he revived the name Advertiser and published the first issue of the Advertiser on May 6, 1842.
In 1845 a paper rivaling the Advertiser was the Whig Standard, which in 1855 became the Tiffin Tribune after the Whig party became the New Republican party.
Since the merger, The Advertiser-Tribune has maintained a nonpartisan policy.
Both Tiffin newspapers advanced with the technical progress in newspaper production - electrically powered rotary presses, the Mergenthaler linotype, and in wireless transmission of information.
By 1925, the Duplex Tubular press was capable of printing 30,000 papers an hour. The 1910 flatbed press could produce only 2,000 papers an hour.
Martens was succeeded as publisher by Kaj Spencer in the spring of 1978. Rick Bean became publisher of The Advertiser-Tribune in January 1983.
In September 1989, The Advertiser-Tribune launched a Sunday morning edition. The publication cycle was changed to mornings, seven days each week in April 1990. On October 1, 1993, Ogden Newspapers, Inc. (ONI), based in Wheeling, WV, purchased The Advertiser-Tribune. G. Ogden Nutting, president of ONI, continued the technological advancements in production of the newspaper.
John T. Elchert succeeded Bean as publisher in February 1994. The process to full pagination of the paper was completed in the summer of 1995. David A. Frisch became publisher of The Advertiser-Tribune in December of 1996. Chris Dixon became publisher of the Advertiser-Tribune in 2005.
Tiffin Flea Market October 1, 2016
Tiffin Flea Market, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Seneca County Fairgrounds, 100 Hopewell Ave., Tiffin. Free admission and parking. Sponsor: Jr. Fair Foundation. (419) 447-9613, (419) 618-4979 or www.tiffinfleamarket.com. more »
Events & Activities
CU GalleriesView All Galleries »