Pellet stove smolders, fills home with smoke

A firefighter works at the scene of smoke in the house at 8828 W. CR 10 early Monday morning.

NEW RIEGEL — Firefighters from two departments assisted occupants of a Big Spring Township home early Monday morning.

About 4:35 a.m., a person reported smoke on the bottom floor of the house at 8828 W. CR 10.

NBS Joint Fire District, NBS EMS District, Bascom Joint Fire District, Bascom EMS, the county’s Echo unit and Seneca County Sheriff’s Office responded.

Chief Dennis Kessler of NBS Joint Fire District said a pellet stove was smoldering and filled the home with smoke.

Firefighters carried the stove outside, and the smoke mostly was on the bottom floor, he said.

There was no damage in the home, and no one was hurt, Kessler said.

Kessler said the occupants initially were displaced.

American Red Cross assisted.

The property is owned by Delbert and Karen Bumb, according to the Seneca County Auditor’s Office’s website.