East SR 18 house burns early Tuesday morning

Firefighters work at the scene of a house fire at 3670 E. SR 18 early Tuesday morning.

Firefighters from several departments responded to a house fire in Clinton Township early Tuesday morning.

The fire at 3670 E. SR 18 was reported at 3:45 a.m., and personnel from Clinton Township Volunteer Fire Department, Tiffin Fire Rescue Division, Scipio-Republic Fire Department and Old Fort Volunteer Fire Department responded.

Chief Fred Bishop of Clinton Township Volunteer Fire Department said the fire was in the wall and started upstairs, between two bedrooms. He said it appeared to be electrical, and he thought the cause was wiring in the wall.

Bishop said the first crew at the scene could hear the fire in the wall but couldn’t see it. The fire got into the attic, and firefighters pulled the ceiling down in two bedrooms instead of putting a hole in the roof, he said.

Bishop estimated the fire was under control in half an hour and extinguished in an hour.

He estimated damage at $60,000-$70,000 and said smoke damage was all upstairs.

The house is owned by Charles and Jennifer Clouse, according to the Seneca County Auditor’s Office’s website.

Bishop said the occupants were home and were out when firefighters arrived.

A dog had alerted them to the fire, and they heard smoke detectors once they were outside, he said.

Bishop said it was unknown if the residents were displaced, and he thought the house was reparable.

No one was hurt, and the dogs got out safely, he said.

Seneca County Sheriff’s Office and Ohio Department of Transportation assisted.

SR 18 temporarily was closed.

Tiffin Fire Rescue Division called in additional personnel.