Man displaced from home after Tiffin fire

Tiffin Fire and Rescue Division firefighters work at the scene of a house fire on Sycamore St. Friday Morning.

A man was displaced from his residence after a house fire at 127 Sycamore St. Friday morning.

Tiffin Fire Rescue Division received the call and appeared on scene just after 11 a.m. and found a fire in the living room of the duplex’s upstairs apartment, Chief Kevin Veletean of Tiffin Fire Rescue Division said.

“The resident had already gotten out of the house when firefighters arrived, and wasn’t injured,” Veletean said.

Deputy Chief Rob Chappell of Tiffin Fire Rescue Division said it took “about 10 minutes” for firefighters to put the fire out. Firefighters then worked at clearing smoke from the residence.

Chief Veletean said “careless smoking” was determined to be the cause of the fire.

The property damage is estimated at $15,000 and contents are estimated at a $10,000 loss, he said.

Chief Veletean also said the resident had been displaced but that he was able to contact someone and had a place to stay.

Clinton Township Volunteer Fire Department assisted at the scene.

The duplex is owned by Michael T. Krupp, according to the Seneca County Auditor’s website.