Seneca County approved for emergency haying, grazing on CRP acres

Seneca County has been authorized for emergency haying and grazing of Conservation Reserve Program acres outside of the primary nesting season, according to Brenda Blair, the executive director of the county Farm Service Agency office.

Emergency haying is permitted July 16-Aug. 31, and emergency grazing is permitted July 16-Sept. 30, she said in a news release.

“Producers who are interested in emergency haying or grazing of CRP acres must request FSA county office approval before starting any haying and grazing activities,” Blair said in the release. “The request must include a modified conservation plan from the Natural Resources Conservation Service with haying and grazing provisions.”

At least 50 percent of each field or contiguous CRP fields must be left unhayed for wildlife. At least 25 percent of each field or contiguous CRP fields must be left ungrazed for wildlife, or grazed not more than 75 percent of the stocking rate as determined by NRCS.

Producers can use the CRP acreage under the emergency grazing provisions for their own livestock or may grant another livestock producer use of the CRP acreage. Eligible CRP acreage is limited to acres located within the approved county.

There will be no CRP annual rental payment reduction for 2019 emergency haying and grazing authorizations.

Under the emergency haying and grazing provisions, CRP acreage cannot be hayed and/or grazed at the same time. Participants are limited to one hay cutting and are not permitted to sell any of the hay. Hay bales must be removed within 15 days of the end of the haying period and livestock must be removed from the CRP acreage no more than one day after the end of the grazing period.

For more information or to request approval, call the Seneca County FSA office at (419) 447-7071.