×

Fostoria house fire sends four to hospital early Sunday morning

FOSTORIA – A house fire sent four people to the hospital early Sunday morning.

Fostoria Fire Division responded to the two-story house on fire at 147 E. Center St. at 12:59 a.m. Sunday.

Bascom EMS and Tiffin Fire Rescue Division each transported two occupants to ProMedica Fostoria Community Hospital for smoke inhalation, according to a release from Fostoria Fire Division. All occupants exited the home on their own, it states.

Four dogs were rescued from the home, and two dogs were unable to saved, according to the release.

When firefighters entered the home, a mattress was found burning in an upstairs bedroom and was extinguished. Fostoria Fire Division officials believe the cause of the fire to be careless smoking, according to the release.

There were no working smoke detectors in the home, it states.

The Red Cross was called to assist the occupants. The loss estimate from damage is believed to be $20,000 for the property and $7,500 in contents, according to the release.

The owner of the property is Terry R. Saalman, according to the Seneca County Auditor’s Office’s website.

COMMENTS