Park district approves 1st grants
Seneca County Park District’s board recently approved $84,923 as the first grant allocations from its Community Grants Program.
The allocations are for the 2017-18 program, which is funded by a portion of the levy money approved by voters in November 2016.
Executive Director Sarah Betts said the three-person grant recommendation team was comprised of three park professionals from districts outside of Seneca County. A total of 22 grant applications were received from 10 of the 13 eligible community park entities in the county. The total amount of funding in the applications requested $186,684. The application asked that funds be requested in two parts — Projects costing less than $5,000 and those costing more than $5,000.
The board accepted the recommendation of the review team, which funded at least one project from each community.
Projects approved costing less than $5,000 were:
• Bettsville restroom rehabilitation, H.P. Eells Park, $6,665 total cost, $4,000 requested.
• Eden Township restroom installation, Gottfried Park, $4,200 cost for phase 1, part 1, $3,300 requested.
• Eden Township restroom installation, Gottfried Park, $5,400 cost for phase 1, part 2, $2,950 requested.
• Green Springs storage shed, Green Springs Park, $2,496 total cost, $2,496 requested.
• New Riegel benches and grills in shelter, New Riegel Village Park, $4,992 total cost, $2,296 requested.
• P.M. Gillmor trash/recycling totes, $2,507.76 total cost, $2,100 requested.
• Republic picnic shelter concrete replacement, Republic Park, $4,935 total cost, $4,485 requested.
Projects approved for more than $5,000 were:
• Attica pole harness replacement and pool painting, Myers Park, $20,275 total cost, $20,275 requested, $14,575 approved.
• Bloomville landscape/convert playground, Veterans Memorial Park, $44,569.81 total cost, $44,569 requested, $15,000 approved.
• Fostoria batting cage improvements, Foundation Park, $10,625 total cost, $9,760 requested and approved.
• Meadowbrook playground/swing area update, $13,024.75 total cost, $10,593 requested, $8,827 approved.
• New Riegel paving village park, $18,785 total cost, $9,393 requested and approved.
• P.M. Gillmor basketball improvements, $6,141 total cost, $5,741 requested and approved.
In other business during the special meeting, the board approved the purchase of a replacement mower and disposal of an old, unsafe mower.
The board’s next meeting is at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday at the shelter in Fort Seneca off TR 152. Future summer meetings where the board is visiting community parks include Aug. 14 at Meadowbrook Park, 5430 W. Tiffin St., Bascom, and Sept. 11 at New Riegel Park shelter.