May makes quarterfinals, Franks stays alive

COLUMBUS — It was a day of moving on and elimination on the first day of the Division III state wrestling tournament at Ohio State University’s Jerome Schottenstein Center.

Carey’s Tanner May won his championship preliminary match, Lakota’s Trevor Franks survived to reach today’s action after splitting a pair of close matches, and Mohawk’s Morgan Price dropped both of his matches.

May beat Mogadore’s Tyler Knight 3-1 in the opening round of the 182-pound weight class, a match Carey coach Ryan Pratt said was not as close as the score indicates.

May scored a takedown in the first period, then chose the down position in the second and earned an escape in about 30 seconds to forge a 3-0 lead.

Knight chose the down position to start the third and May gave up an escape, but maintained control from there, Pratt said.

“We had a really nice match. Obviously didn’t know a lot about the kid,” Pratt said. “It was like a chess match out there. He knew where he was in the match, never in any danger out there. It was 3-1 and he was in control.”

May, a two-time state placer, will face Brookville’s Chase Dyer in today’s quarterfinals. The winner advances to the semifinals and is guaranteed to finish no lower than sixth.

“We don’t know the kid too much,” Pratt said of Dyer. “We’re just going to state focused and continue our attack and do what we’ve done the past few weeks. Definitely we don’t want to try any new moves now. I’m looking forward to tomorrow morning’s match.”

Franks (33-5) fell 8-6 in his 160-pound opening round match to Lewistown Indian Lake’s Hayden Pummel, but rebounded with a 7-5 sudden victory overtime win in the first round of the consolation bracket against West Jefferson Bryce Keckley.

The Lakota junior advances to face the loser of the match between Apple Creek Waynedale’s Max Lemon and Miami Valley Christian today.

Price, a first-time state qualifier, suffered a 19-4 technical fall loss in the opening round at 145 pounds to Galion Northmor’s Tony Martinez before losing 5-4 in tiebreaker overtime to Jamestown Greeneview’s Devan Hendricks.

“He came out in the first match, I know it was against a district champ but we made some mistakes and made (Martinez) look really good,” Mohawk coach Nate Lofay said. “Then we calmed down (for the second match). I told him we wanted to fight down here and he fought. He came up short but he looked a heck of a lot better in that second match.”

Price ended the season 37-10, but Lofay said the wrestling’s not done.

“I told him I was proud of him. I told him it was a big deal to be a state qualifier. He had a heck of a year. I’m proud of him for that,” Lofay said. “I told it doesn’t stop, we’re going to do a little work tomorrow at the facility. I want him to wrestle all year round. He’s got it, he’s got the mentality, he’s just got to refine some things.”