Three Dragons off to nationals

FINDLAY — Three Tiffin University grapplers qualified for the NCAA Division II National Championships at Saturday’s Midwest Regional at University of Findlay.

Trey Grine took third at 149 pounds to lead the Dragons, with fourths going to 141-pounder Bryan LaVearn and 174-pounder Chase Boyd.

Three other Dragons also finished in the top six to guide TU to fourth overall with 78 points.

Ashland upended Newberry 94 1/2-93 for the team title, with Lake Erie scoring 91 points for third.

Hayden Bronne (184) and Beau Minnick (157) added fifths for Tiffin and Nicholas Mason (197) added a sixth.

‘Berg cruises to first home men’s lacrosse win

One year after going 0-8 in home games, the Heidelberg men’s lacrosse team finally got a home victory.

Senior captain Matt Wernerspach scored four times and Nick Selfridge added four goals and an assist to spark a 16-2 drubbing Saturday of Bethany College at Hoernemann Stadium.

Freshman goalie Alex Bruder also shined, making 11 saves in his first collegiate start.

The Student Princes set single-game program records for most goals scored, fewest goals allowed and largest margin of victory.

Heidelberg (1-0) never trailed and led 6-1 at the end of the first quarter. Barry Middeton and Hunter Edwards each scored twice in the opening period, with Elijah Haire and Selfridge also scoring.

Selfridge and Patrick McCarthy added goals in the second quarter, before a five-score burst in the third period — two by Wernerspach and one each from Selfridge, Brock Hodson and McCarthy — essentially put the game out of reach.

Wernerspach sandwiched two goals in the fourth quarter around a score by Selfridge.

McCarthy added two assists, with Middleton, Selfridge and Haire each tallying one.

Marcus Marasigan and Chris Storrs anchored the defense. Storrs caused five turnovers and picked up a team-high seven ground balls. Marasigan picked up five ground balls and caused four turnovers.

Edwards also had seven ground balls and Haire chipped in five.

“I’m glad to see some of the things we focused on at practice showed today,” Heidelberg coach Bill Schmoldt said. “I’m really happy for the guys to get a win at home and I thought Bruder played well in his first college start.”

Dragons still perfect early in season

SPARTANBURG, S.C. — Tiffin used a five-run fifth to take control against Converse, then got timely hitting and solid pitching against Mount Olive at the Mid-South Tournament to improve to 4-0.

The Dragons beat Converse 7-2 before slipping past Mount Olive 3-2.

Against Converse (0-13), Tiffin loaded the bases on a walk, single and error before Brooke Lambert snapped a 2-2 tie by getting hit by a pitch.

Sierra Besser-Paul and Chloe Swaisgood then sandwiched run-scoring fielder’s choices around Hayley Kobie drawing a walk to push Tiffin’s lead to 5-2.

Libby Crow followed with a two-run double.

Kimmy Reynolds entered the pitching circle in the third inning for TU and surrendered just two hits while fanning eight to get the win.

Amanda Rock also doubled for TU, with Besser-Paul and Swaisgood each ending with two RBIs.

Runs proved more difficult to get against Mount Olive, but TU did rap 11 hits.

That started early, with Jamie Sevenish leading off the game with a single and later scoring on Besser-Paul’s double.

The Dragons made it 2-0 in the third inning when Rock’s two-out single drove in Sevenish.

Mount Olive (5-9) plated single runs in the bottom of the fourth and sixth. Both runs were unearned.

In the seventh, Sevenish doubled and Lambert singled to put runners in scoring position with Besser-Paul lining an RBI single for the go-ahead run.

Mount Olive’s leadoff batter in the bottom of the frame reached on an error, but a strikeout, fly out and pop out ended the threat.

Tiffany Snell went the distance for the win, scattering four hits and four strikeouts.

Sevenish and Besser-Paul both ended 3 for 4, with Sevenish scoring twice and Besser-Paul driving in two runs. Lambert also singled twice.

Dragons rally, but fall

Tiffin’s women rallied from a 14-point third-quarter deficit to tie the score with 24 seconds to play, but Saginaw Valley State’s Kaitlyn Geers split a pair of foul shots and the Cardinals survived a late 3-point try to claim a 67-66 Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference win.

Saginaw Valley (6-21, 6-14 GLIAC) looked to have control after entering halftime up 33-25 and pushing that advantage to 41-27 with 6:19 left in the third period.

But the Dragons (9-19, 5-15) rallied from there, outscoring the Cardinals 13-9 to end the quarter down 50-45.

Tiffin kept clawing from there, eventually tying the game at 59 on Sarah Cummings’ jumper with 4:43 left in the game.

The Cardinals inched out to a 66-61 lead on Rozhane Wells’ layup at the 1:04 mark, but Kiley May’s layup and Aida Santana Martin’s 3-pointer at the other end tied the game with 24 seconds left.

It stayed that way until Geers split her foul shots for the Cardinals 15 seconds later, with Santana Martin’s 3-point try missing as time wound down.

Geers finished with 18 points for Saginaw Valley, Laurel Jacqmain had 16 points and 13 rebounds and Abby Duffy and Wells both ended with 12 points. Duffy also grabbed eight boards and Hannah Settingsgaard netted eight points.

May capped her final game with 17 points and four assists for TU.

Madison Jackson added 11 points and nine rebounds, Cummings scored 11 points, Ali Schirmer tossed in 10 points and Santana Martin had eight points.

Saginaw Valley slips past Dragons in OT

Terrell Mabins’ layup with 12 seconds left in regulation forced overtime, but Tiffin couldn’t find a way past Sanginaw Valley State from there Saturday in an 88-86 Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference loss.

The game stayed close throughout, with Tiffin’s biggest lead in the second half coming when Austin Adams hit a jumper with 5:48 left in regulation to put the Dragons up 72-67.

But Tiffin missed its next three field goal tries and a two foul shots while the Cardinals (12-16, 9-11 GLIAC) eventually knotted the game at 72 on two Mike Wells foul shots at the 3:34 mark.

Justin Miller’s jump with 2:27 to go put TU up 74-72, but Wells tied the game again with a layup with 1:20 left.

Foul shots by Wells and Liam Evans pushed the Cardinals ahead 76-74 with 19 seconds to go, but Mabins countered with a layup for TU (7-21, 3-17) and Wells missed a 3-point try at the buzzer, sending the game to overtime.

Saginaw Valley never trailed in overtime, but Tiffin tied the game at 80 with two Mabins foul shots with 2:10 to go.

The Cardinals led 86-82 after Fred John’s layup with 44 seconds left, but TU’s Jarrell Taylor hit a jumper 12 seconds later and Alex Brown snared a steal and drew a foul with five seconds left.

However, Brown missed both of his free throws, with D.J. Hoskins grabbing the second miss for the Cardinals and drawing a foul.

Hoskins hit both of his foul shots for a four-point lead, and Mabins just beat the buzzer at the other to finish the scoring.

Wells led everyone with 28 points and added four assists and four steals for the Cardinals. John had 18 points and 15 rebounds and Evans tallied 14 points and 10 boards.

Adams tallied a double-double of 19 points and 15 boards for TU. Mabins also scored 19 points, Alex Brown had 17, Taylor tallied 13 and Miller ended with eight.