Santana Martin makes basket at buzzer to lift Dragons

It looked like Tiffin was about to drop its third game in a row trailing 52-51 Saturday afternoon, but after a time out with less than three seconds remaining in the game, Aida Santana Martin came to the rescue with a left-handed layup as time expired to beat Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference foe Lake Superior, 53-52.

The Dragons opened up the first quarter with five-straight points, but the Lakers quickly closed the gap to 10-8 with a 3:01 remaining in the period. With 35 seconds left, Jensen Hiegel laid the ball in to take a 14-11 lead at the end of one.

Tiffin (8-16, 4-12) extended its lead in the second. TU shot six field goals in the quarter and hit half while the rest of the points came from the free throw line. The Dragons connected on 9 of 12 in the second to take a 30-21 lead into the half. Defensively, Tiffin held the Lakers to 4 of 13 from the field and one free throw.

The third was rather cold for Tiffin netting only 10 points and giving up 17. Lake Superior (2-19, 1-15) sank 8 of 19 field goals and held Tiffin to about 21 percent from the field. Although the Lakers won the quarter, the Dragons held onto a narrow 40-38 lead.

In the final quarter of action, the game saw a pair of ties and six lead changes as both teams struggled to take much control. Kiley May hit a triple to take a 43-38 lead, but the Lakers netted seven-straight points to take a 45-43 lead.

May led the Dragons with a career-high 22 points shooting 5 of 6 from the field and 7 of 10 from the line. Martin netted nine points for TU while Ali Schirmer tossed in eight. Madison Jackson tied a game-high 10 rebounds while chipping in seven points.

Tamara Novic led the Lakers with a double-double scoring 14 points and grabbing 10 rebounds. Taylor Bryant added 10 points from the bench.

‘Berg men get

much-needed win

It was Senior Day for the Heidelberg men’s basketball team and one senior stood out to help the Student Princes stay in the Ohio Athletic Conference Tournament hunt with a 74-72 win over Mount Union.

Senior Chris Moxley led the Princes with 22 points off the bench, while grabbing four rebounds and dishing our a pair of assists. He shot 6 of 15 from the field and connected on all eight free throws. Myron Prewitt followed with 14 points and a team-high eight boards. Kiere Bennie and Josh Dixon each added 10 points — sinking 4 of 4 and 2 of 2 from the stripe respectively.

Heidelberg (10-13, 6-10) was scoreless for the first three or so minutes, but once it scored, a 7-0 run gave the Princes a 7-2 lead. Those points came within a minute. Prewitt got things going with a trey followed by a jumper by Moxley. The Purple Raiders were intercepted by Dixon who raced to the other end for a quick layup.

Prewitt scored six-straight points to help HU extend its lead to 25-10 with about nine minutes left in the first half.

Mount Union (11-12, 7-9) responded with a 6-0 run, but a triple by Moxley ended the scoring spurt. The 3-pointer gave ‘Berg a double-digit lead with five minutes left in the half.

With about three minutes in the half, JJ Kukura cut Mount’s deficit to 32-22 with a deep trey. On the inbound pass, Nathan Bower-Malone got the steal and put the layup forcing HU to take a timeout. Heidelberg held a seven-point lead going into the halftime break.

Three minutes into the second half, Mount Union cut its deficit to three. Moxley stopped the Raiders’ momentum with a triple from the wing. ‘Berg’s next possession, Bennie grabbed the rebound and found Moxley who scored in transition to give the HU an eight-point lead.

With under 12 minutes left in the game, Kukura sank a transition 3-pointer cutting HU’s lead to 53-51.

With 3:21 remaining, James Hanley fed Prewitt with the pass and he went up with a huge dunk extending the Student Princes’ lead to 66-60.

The Raiders slowly made their way back to a one-point deficit with 29 seconds left. Mount fouled Bennie who sank both free throws to extend the lead with 21 seconds on the clock.

Mount Union had a chance to tie the game with a triple, but the rebound was muffed by a Raider and HU got the ball back with nine seconds left. Bennie hit two more free throws to seal the win.

The Princes sit in the final (eighth) spot for the OAC Tournament with two games left in the regular season. The top-four spot have been clinched by John Carroll, Marietta, Ohio Northern and Baldwin Wallace.

Student Princes’

skid continues

ALLIANCE — The Heidelberg women’s team continues to struggle as it dropped its 10th straight game.

The injury-plagued Student Princes fell 97-55 to OAC foe Mount Union.

Brook Beamer led Heidelberg (4-19, 2-14) with a 18 points while shooting 4 of 7 from beyond the arc. Brittanie Ulmer backed her with 16 points, while New Riegel graduate Leah Bouillon grabbed a team-high seven rebounds.

Aianna Wilson dished out six assists.

Mount Union (13-10, 10-6) wasted no time taking control of the game

. At the first stop, the Raiders held a 28-9 lead.

The Student Princes cut into the lead in the second. Heidelberg outscored its host 21-17. Ulmer and Beamer connected on back-to-back triples to ignite HU’s offense. Seneca East graduate Megan Siesel in the final minute of the half cut the deficit to 45-30 at the break.

Mount Union regained momentum in the third and controlled the pace the rest of the game.

The Raiders were led by Jamie Sanborn’s game-high 20 points and a double-double by Rachel Tinkey with 17 points and 10 boards.

Old Fort was represented by Alli Adelsperger and Mackenzie Ward. Adelsperger scored three points — hitting 3 of 4 from the line — and grabbed three rebounds while Ward had a rebound.

‘Berg men 4th,

women 8th at All-Ohio

WESTERVILLE — Heidelberg’s track and field squads competed in the Division III All-Ohio Meet hosted by Otterbein Saturday.

The men ended the day in fourth with 54 points, while the women claimed eighth with 32 points.

Mount Union took the men’s crown with 143 points followed by Case Western (96) and Ohio Wesleyan (79). The women’s title was won by Otterbein with 109 points with Mount Union in a close second (106) followed by Ohio Wesleyan (87).

The men’s 4×200 relay team claimed second. James Ervin led the squad with Marques Johnson, Jerrod Lyon and Dan Stoll. They finished in 1:32.40 which was beat by Mount in 1:32.39. Stoll added a runner-up finish in the 400 in 50.17.

The distance medley squad of Isaac Kuntz, Kenny Beucler, Tim Faiken and Eric Peterson took third in 10:39.14. Another third was added by the 4×400 relay team of Lyon, Faiken, Beucler and Stoll (3:25.33).

The women were led by Sarah Hunter’s second-place finish in the 400. She crossed the line in 58.66 and was edged out by the top spot by .01.

Middle weights help

TU beat No. 18 Oilers

Three straight wins in the middle weight classes helped Tiffin’s wrestling squad top 18th-ranked Findlay 25-14.

The former GLIAC foes battled back-and-forth most of the dual, but the Dragons in classes 157, 165 and 174 propelled them to victory.

With a 10-7 lead, Clyde native Beau Minnick extended Tiffin’s lead to 13-7. The 157-pounder took a 4-2 win after taking two points in sudden victory. Findlay forfeited at 165 giving Richard Screptock the win.

Chase Boyd pushed TU’s lead to 22-7 with a 12-5 decision over Nate Vandermeer.

The Dragons took home three more wins. At 125, Giuseppe Penzone pinned Zachary Collins in 5:47. Bryan LaVearn took an 8-0 major decision over 141-pounder Ryan Skonieczny. The final Tiffin win came with Nick Mason at 197. He took a 7-5 win after taking a point in sudden victory.

Multiple Dragons hit provisionals

Both the men’s and women’s track and field squads for Tiffin had a number of athletes hit provisional NCAA provisional marks at the Tiffin Grand Prix.

The men’s side hit seven marks while the women hit four.

The Dragons had two marks hit in the shot put and triple jump. Nikolas Curtiss placed second in with a toss of 16.97 meters while Eric Jackson followed directly behind (16.87). A leap of 15.24 meters by Jalon Monigan was good enough for first while Vincent Vogel took second with a leap of 14.96.

Toryke Grace kept things going with a second-place finish and a provisional mark toss of 19.36 meters in the weight throw. Cameron Burrows cleared 2.04 meters to win the high jump and earn a provisional mark. On the track, Erikk Snell took second in the 60 hurdles crossing in 8.11.

James Ngandu won the mile in 4:13.18 with teammates Stephen Korir in second (4:21.01) and Josh Jaster in third (4:26.41). Shaquille Hilderth won the 200 in 22.02 followed by Reginald Thomas in second (22.06) and Michael King in third (22.27).

Two of Tiffin’s women that hit provisional marks also won the event she participated in. Emma Gielink took a leap of 11.9 meters to earn the crown in the triple jump. Miaisha Blair won the long jump with a leap of 5.52 meters.

Other women that hit provisional marks were Monica Carson and Dalaney Rogala. Carson was the runner-up in the shot put with a toss of 13.56 meters. Rogala also claimed second clearing 1.67 meters in the high jump.