Carey too fast, too furious

By Zach Baker

Sports Editor

CAREY – Zach Boes had 14 points and 10 rebounds.

Jared Wentling had 18 points and five boards.

Carey had a 23-point advantage on Calvert.

And it was only halftime.

The Blue Devils, playing in their first game in 10 days, jumped out to a 17-4 lead less than five minutes in, had 28 points at the first stop, and ran off Calvert Thursday night, 82-51.

“I think it was mostly being out, like not having a game for 10 days,” said Boes of the team’s performance. “So we kind of got fresh legs, and going in there not tired. We just played as a team.”

Boes finished with 24 points and 11 rebounds. Wentling, trailing only Old Fort’s Hunter Perry in scoring in the Midland Athletic League, ended with 28 points to go with 10 rebounds.

The Blue Devils offense played fast, and it seemed nothing could slow them down.

Not even halftime. With five minutes left until the third quarter was due to start, Carey coach C.J. Kin could be seen standing in the gym’s doorway, looking restless.

“Against Arlington, and tonight against Calvert, I really didn’t want halftime to come,” said Kin after his team improved to 13-3, 7-0 in the MAL. “We were playing so well in the first half. We’re just shooting so efficiently right now. We’re making our shots. We’re playing great defense.”

All of which spelled trouble for Calvert (4-10, 3-4). The Senecas turned the ball over five times in the first quarter, which – seemingly without fail – Boes or Wentling turned into transition buckets.

Calvert never completely recovered, though it did get back-to-back treys from Michael Bennett at the end of the first quarter, and baskets from Drew Ritzler and Austin Perry to start the second. It was a 10-2 Senecas’ run that brought them within 28-16 with 6:47 left in the half.

But Calvert then missed its next seven shots from the floor. Carey finished the second quarter on a 15-4 run.

“We wielded it back in,” said Calvert coach Ted Willman. “Then they must have went on a 12-or-14-0 run, it seemed like. … That whole vicious cycle that started in the first quarter. We made that little run, and they just picked up.”

And, despite a big advantage at the break, the Blue Devils had no intention of letting up. Kin reminded his players that the Senecas have made a habit of coming back from big deficits.

Carey responded by coming out and hitting its first seven shots of the third quarter.

“Just keep it up, like coach said,” Wentling said. “(Don’t) let down and keep going.”

Bryan Powers finished 16 points for the Blue Devils. Wentling, Boes and Powers combined for 68 of Carey’s 82 points.

“They’re quick, athletic, and all of them are capable,” Willman said.

Calvert was led by Bennett’s 14 points. Austin Ball had nine points and Marcus Somers eight.

Carey dominated up front, winning rebounding 31-14.

Willman said his squad will get back to work.

“We had some opportunities,” Willman said. “We got some opportunities, and didn’t take advantage of them. They need to see that.”

The game wasn’t just played fast, it was fast. Tipoff was at about 7:25 p.m. It ended at 8:32.

The teams shot only 17 combined free throws.

Not a lot of whistles. Not a lot of time.

Just a Carey win.