Today is Earth Day. It's a chance to reflect on how everyday actions impact the environment. Earth Day also is a welcome reminder that small behaviors make a big difference.
Recycling is one of the easiest things you can do, especially with the recycling drop-box program offered by the Ottawa-Sandusky-Seneca Solid Waste District and serviced by Rumpke. Visit www.rumpkerecycling.com or
www.recycleoss.org for a map of convenient recycling locations near you. The tips below can help you do even more.
Top five ways you can help the recycling program:
1. No plastic bags. Recyclables should be placed unbagged in the container. If you use plastic bags to collect or transport recyclables, empty the recyclables at the recycling site and take the bags home to reuse. Or, consider taking plastic bags back to the grocery store for recycling.
2. Plenty of paper. Remember to recycle computer paper, magazines, newspapers and inserts, envelopes with or without windows, postcards and junk mail.
3. Recycle right. Each recycling drop-box is stickered with a list of acceptable and unacceptable items. The long list includes many items found in your home. Recycling the right items helps the program run smoother and keeps costs low.
4. Flatten cardboard. Do you shop online? If so, you probably have a bunch of cardboard boxes, which are great to recycle. Help save space in the container by flattening boxes.
5. Summer parties. Are you hosting a party soon? Memorial Day? Graduation? Fourth of July? Place a recycling container next to each trash can to make it easy for your guests to recycle glass and plastic bottles, along with beer and soda cans.
Rumpke is proud to support recycling throughout the community. Let's all make the most of the opportunity to recycle more and trash less.
Happy Earth Day!
and recycling education