McCutchenville residents were evacuated from their homes Wednesday evening after a reported gasoline leak.
McCutchenville Fire Chief BJ Ford said Wednesday night that firefighters evacuated residents on the southwest section of the village as a precaution after the leak was reported.
Dan Stahl, director of Seneca County Emergency Management Agency, said firefighters identified the source of the leak as Clark Gas Station, located at 8910 S. SR 53.
He said clean-up crews were summoned to the scene Wednesday night to begin clean-up.
According to a release from Dean Henry, Seneca County Public Information Officer, gasoline entered the storm water system and gasoline vapors were detected in residential structures.
Residents who smelled gasoline or a fuel odor or who experienced nausea, headaches or unexplained medical symptoms, were advised to immediately evacuate and call 911.
Gasoline vapors in a structure are volatile and pose an explosion hazard and health hazard, the release states.
Firefighters were going door-to-door with monitoring devices Wednesday night, according to the release.
A Red Cross shelter was set up Wednesday evening at Trinity United Church of Christ, 8919 South SR 53.
Amy Reinhart, who works for the Red Cross, said Wednesday around 8:30 p.m. that no one was staying at the shelter.
Most of those displaced had found somewhere to stay, she said. One family was put up at Quality Inn in Tiffin, Reinhart said.
"It looks like we might not have to open," she said.
Ford was unsure of the number of residences evacuated Wednesday night.
According to the release, Sycamore Volunteer Fire Department and EMS, Tiffin Fire Rescue Division, Fostoria Fire Division, Seneca County EMA, Wyandot County EMA, Hancock County Chapter of the American Red Cross and Ohio EPA were called Wednesday evening to assist the McCutchenville Volunteer Fire Department.