GREEN?SPRINGS - An early morning fire at Papa Jimmie's, 121 S. Broadway St., caused fire damage to the back of the building, temporarily closing the restaurant.
Two upstairs apartments also were damaged by smoke from the fire, which was reported at 5:30 a.m., Chief Greg Lowe of Green Springs Rural Volunteer Fire Department said.
Lowe said two adults and three children living in one of the apartments were rescued after firefighters broke into the apartment upon arrival.
A sign in front of Papa Jimmie's stated the restaurant in Green Springs was closed temporarily following a pre-dawn fire Thursday.
"We were really glad to get everyone out safe," Lowe said.
No one was injured, he said, and luckily the residents had a bedroom door closed, which contained the smoke. Lowe said there were smoke detectors in the apartment, but they were not functioning.
Lowe said the fire started in the meat smoker, which is attached to the restaurant's building, and then spread. He said it's likely the meat smoker overheated.
"It did do quite a bit of damage to the back of the building," he said.
Lowe said firefighters were at the scene of the fire for about three hours.
"Our guys did a really good job getting the fire knocked down," he said.
According to a spokeswoman from the Seneca County Sheriff's Office, Green Springs EMS also responded to the fire.
A sign at the front of Papa Jimmie's said the restaurant is closed temporarily.