OLD FORT - The Old Fort Board of Education passed a resolution to enter into a contract with Bettsville Local Schools for the purpose of shared services Monday during their regular meeting.
The schools are to share administrative and teaching services for the 2013-14 school year. Bettsville is to share the services of elementary principal Michelle Duntuono for grades K-5 and Old Fort is to share principal Shane Jacoby for grades 6-12. The schools are to share services for Spanish courses. Bettsville will get Spanish teacher Matt Combs for three periods.
Bettsville is to vote on the resolution during their regular meeting, the date has not been set yet.
The board believes that, if planned carefully and implemented prudently, the sharing of services authorized by the Ohio Revised Code will result in increased efficiency, according to the resolution.
Old Fort Superintendent Jude Meyers said this process will begin to open up more opportunities for both districts.
The board heard reports from district treasurer, Jamie Pearson. The board approved the contract, through Pearson's recommendation, with Sheakley UniService for workers compensation and unemployment services beginning July 1, 2013. The board also approved an agreement with John Merryfield Sr. to maintain property for $20 per invoice submitted. The property on SR 53 in Fort Seneca is to be auctioned once an auctioneer has been selected, Pearson said.
Introduction of new employees were made by Meyers, Lori Schultze, Gregory Kohler and Corey Wackerly are to join Old Fort Local Schools for the 2013-14 school year.
The board entered into executive session to consider the employment and compensation of personnel, no action was taken.
In other business the board:
* Heard committee reports.
* Heard superintendent reports.
* Approved a contract with Ohio School Plan for Property, Fleet, and Liability Insurance services.
* Approved a resolution, for the board of education to pay employee contributions for Jude Meyers and Shane Jacoby to the State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio, effective July 1, 2013.
* The Ohio High School Athletic Association parent meeting is 6:30 p.m Aug. 1 in the commons.
* Student schedule pick-up is 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Aug. 14-16.
* Sixth- and seventh-grade orientation 6:30 p.m. Aug. 16.
* First day of school Aug. 20.
The next regular meeting is to be 6 p.m. Aug. 12 in the conference room.