A detached garage on South US 23 caught fire Monday afternoon, destroying the structure and causing damage to a nearby house.
Bascom Fire Chief Harry Miller said the fire, reported at 1766 S. US 23 just before 2:30 p.m., ignited from a wood burner inside the garage.
The two-car garage, which had a 20-foot by 20-foot building attached to it, contained tools, a go-cart and some heaters, Miller said.
PHOTO BY JILL GOSCHE
Firefighters work at the scene of a garage fire on US 23 Monday afternoon.
"The garage was pretty much empty," he said.
Miller said Bascom Fire and Rescue was assisted at the scene by NBS firefighters, Washington Township firefighters and Bascom EMS. It took firefighters about 25 minutes to control the fire.
Miller said some windows in the house were broken and aluminum siding melted as a result of the fire.
No injuries were reported.