FOSTORIA ProMedica Fostoria Community Hospital plans to share the expanded new home for cancer and infusion services with the community at an open house 2-3 p.m. Sunday.
The new ProMedica Fostoria Community Hospital Cancer and Infusion Center construction project relocated oncology and infusion services to vacated space on the hospital's first floor. The 4,000-square-foot, $710,000 project was completed earlier this month by Whitta Construction.
"We had several very important goals in mind when making plans for the new Cancer and Infusion Center," stated Dan Schwanke, hospital president, in a release. "Provide better access, enhance privacy, and create a more attractive and comfortable environment for healing for our patients and families."
The Cancer and Infusion Center, now known as the oncology/infusion department, is now housed on the hospital's third floor in space built for pediatric patient rooms in 1957.
Original plans for the cancer center were drafted in 2007. Since then, the demand for oncology and infusion services has risen significantly and the department added new cancer specialists, including William Horvath, MD; Divya Vijendra, MD; and George Pipoly, MD; in addition to long-time provider, Renu Soni, MD. Last January, revised plans were finalized and construction began.
The first phase of construction for the cancer center began in 2011 when a parking lot dedicated to oncology/infusion patients was completed. Also, the new center includes a private entrance for patients and their families as well as nine treatment rooms and a separate area for physician consultations and exams. The private treatment areas feature natural light, personal TVs, and serene artwork created and donated by Horvath.
The hospital plans to begin caring for patients in the Cancer and Infusion Center Sept. 24.
Also, renovations to the laboratory and inpatient pharmacy recently were completed to support the growth in cancer and infusion services as well as advancing technology and equipment needs.