FREMONT - The board of trustees of the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center announced it is to sell the 1873 Dillon House. The home is one of Fremont's finest Victoria-era residences - an example of the Towered Second Empire design.
The Hayes Presidential Center purchased the home in October 1962. At the time, a lack of storage in the Hayes Museum became critical. The center saw the Dillon House - located directly across the street - as the perfect answer.
The Dillon House was built by Charles and Anne Dillon. Anne's father Ralph P. Buckland shared a legal practice with Rutherford B. Hayes from 1845-1849. Despite that connection to the 19th President, the depressed financial situation of the last few years necessitated that the Hayes Presidential Center review all of its operations. The center is continuing its efforts to compensate for a 45-percent cut in its state funding.
The Dillon House is to be listed with a local real-estate company. Its contents are expected to be sold at auction at a date to be announced.
On the web: