CASA of Seneca, Sandusky and Wyandot Counties and The Advertiser-Tribune are offering parenting tips throughout the month of April to promote healthy families. April is National Child Abuse Prevention and Awareness Month. It is our hope these articles will help parents build stronger relationships with their children.
Children who have a good relationship with their parents and communicate openly are more likely to turn to them for advice when they face challenging situations. Children experience feeling sad or glad, being scared or mad. Parents can help their children understand these feelings. Teach your children how to calm down and talk over their problems. Strong families work together to carry out the best solution.
Here are some additional parenting tips:
* Be a parent who teaches values.
* Be a parent who offers guidance.
* Be a parent who does things with your child that you can enjoy together.
* Be a parent who praises your child for achievements and talents.
* Be a parent who says "I'm sorry" and asks for forgiveness when wrong.
* Be a parent who says "I trust you."
* Be a parent who says "please" with your requests.
* Be a parent who says "thank you."
Some of these tips may seem obvious, yet sometimes we need a reminder that some of the simplest things we do or say to our child may be the most important. Our children are our future. Handle them with care.