| || |
Heidelberg v. Capital updates
September 20, 2008 - Zach Baker
Heidelberg gets the ball first, and drives down to Capital one, but on a third and goal, Jemar Lewis fumbles and Capital returns it past its 20. But Heidelberg's defense forces a three and out.
Heidelberg is on the move again ... quick observation: I was on the field for Heidelberg's first possession, and without moving, I was sweating. I bring this up because Heidelberg is playing on an artificial turf field in black uniforms, black helmets and black pants. The water ought to be flowing on that Berg sideline (7:26).
Heidelberg drives to Caoital's 37, then is forced to punt. Cory Hartfield's punt is downed at the 1. (6:51)
-Three plays later, Capital has moved the ball to 30 yards and has a first down. Marty Assmann throws an incomplete pass on third and long, forcing another punt (6:15)
- Heidelberg, thanks to a pass interference penalty moves the ball past the 40. On a third and seven, Pete Ankrom intercepts an Andrew Miller pass, returning it to Heidelberg's 30. (2:59)
- Assmann faces a third and 10 from the 30. Heidelberg's defense is 3 for 3 in these situations today. Another incompletion bring up a fourth down. Capital opts to go for it. Another incompletion. 'Berg ball. (2:44)
-Update from Ashland: Tiffin trails 6-0 in the second quarter.
- Heidelberg goes three and out.
End of first quarter
Capital 0, Heidelberg 0
A long rush gives Capital a first down at the Heidelberg 38. The Crusaders face a fourth and less than 1 from the 28. Assmann dives for a first down (13:07).
- Capital faces a third and 5 from the 21. Fran Cavotta dives in and breaks up Assman's pass. D.J Johnson's field goal attempt misses (11:49)
-On a third and long, Miller finds Greg Tyson over the middle for a 23-yard gain. First and 10. Heidelberg has really struggled running the ball. Passing, it has found some openings. Third and long at the Heidelberg 40. A pass to Tyson gets 9, bringing up another punt. Hartfield's kick comes down at the 18. (9:08)
-Update from Ashland: 13-0 Eagles at halftime.
-Capital is driving again. Marty Assmann goes long to Evan Blake for a 48-yard TD pass. Assmann hit Blake in stride. The extra point is blocked. (6:59)
Capital 6, Heidelberg 0
- Heidelberg starts at the 35. On a third and 10, Kenny Sims breaks loose for 44 yards on a rush. That's probably more rushing yards that Heidelberg has had all day. Heidelberg faces a third and seven from the 18. A rush to Sims gets nothing, setting up a field goal attempt. Jesse Hawkins' 36-yard field goal just passes the uprights. (4:53)
Capital 6, Heidelberg 3.
-Capital starts at the 37. Third an 1 at the 46. A rush is stuffed and Capital has to punt. (3:19). The punt goes 13 yards.
-Heidelberg starts at the 41. (3:03). Third and 10. Miller is sacked and fumbles tha ball. The Crusaders' Nick Sadler falls on the ball (2:47).
- Julius Higginbotham, a 'Berg defensive back, breaks up back-to-back passes, makes it third and 10.A 2-yard completion sets up a fourth and long. Fourth and 8, and the Crusaders call time out. (1:49)
- Assmann finds Derick Alexander over the middle for 15 yards to the 15. A holding penalty on the next play makes it first and 19 from the 23.
A throw over the middle to Blake puts Capital at the four. As the clock winds, Assmann avoids the rush and throws over his body to Blake for an 8-yard score. Kick is good (:18)
Capital 13, Heidelberg 3.
- A drop by Dawond Roddy wipes out what would have been a huge gain. Six seconds left. Half ends on a Sims rush.
Capital 13, Heidelberg 3
Halftime thoughts: turnovers kill.
Capital starts at the 38. Ty Parks opens the half with an 8-yard run. Heidelberg needs a stop here. Instead, Parks rips through the line for another big gain, moving into Heidelberg territory. Alexander catches an 8-yard pass. Look out. (13:40).
-Capital is doing a great job establishing the run. Parks busts through the line again for a 19-yard run. Third and 14. Huge play for the Heidelberg defense coming up. Cavotta drops Alexander after a six-yard gain. Field goal is good. (11:19).
Capital 16, Heidelberg 3
- Update from Ashland: Ashland 27, Tiffin 6 with 9:32 left in fourth quarter.
On a third and long, Miller throws a dart to Roddy, who splits three defenders on his way to the Capital 15. (10:04).
-Tyson gets pushed on a pass to the end zone, giving the Student Princes the ball at the 2. Short yardage has been a problem for Heidelberg's offense, because the running game has struggled. Two runs for no gain sets up a third down. Miller tosses apass to his right, and finds fullback Chance Ferrell for the score. Hawkins' kick makes it a 6-point game. (8:45).
Capital 16, Heidelberg 10
- Capital starts at the 20. Blake drops a second down pass that could have gone for a score. It sets up a third and 10. Assmann's third down pass is incomplete. (7:59). Capital punter Tom Gantner drops the snap, and the kick is partially blocked, resulting in a 12-yard kick.
Heidelberg starts at the 32. A screen to Tim Taylor moves the ball to the 2, but it's wiped out by a Heidelberg hold. First and 20. Now it's third and 18. Hiedelberg might be thinking about that hold for a while. Pass is too high for Roddy, and Heidelberg is forced to punt. (6:40).
-For the second time today, Hartfield pins the Crusaders inside the 1. Capital has a third and 1 from the 10. The ball is fumbled and Shawn Shriver recovers at the 13. (5:09). Fumble is forced by Matt Grieves.
-Roddy brings in a pass at the five, setting up a third and short. Miller is sacked at the 10. That brings in Hawkins. The snap is dropped by Lucas Bauer. Bauer rolls right, and tosses the ball to Lewis for a touchdown. Disaster to glory in about four seconds. Mercy. Hawkins' kick is good. (2:57)
Heidelberg 17, Capital 16
-A strong return by Justin Fox puts the ball at the 45. Illegal proceedure moves it to midfield. A third-down completion by Assman to Alexander moves the ball to the Heidelberg 35. Another throw over the middle to Alexander puts the ball at the 3. Dominic D'Andrea dives into the end zone from three yards. Kick is good. (:14)
Capital 23, Heidelberg 17
Final from Ashland: Ashland 34, Tiffin 6
A third down pass by Miller is intercepted by Brad Pickens and returned to the 'Berg 47. (12:45).
- Matt White catches a 16-yard pass from Assman, moving to the Heidelberg 29. Two plays later, White catches a 20-yard TD. White is pushed by a defender after getting in the end zone. Penalty on Heidelberg puts the ball on the 1 for the conversion, which Capital completes with a running play. (11:49).
Capital 31, Heidelberg 17.
- Heidelberg drive is stalled by a holding penalty and a sack. Heidelberg has a third and 15. Miller runs for about seven, forcing a punt. Things are starting to slip away for Heidelberg. Hartfield punts, Capital starts on the 34. (9:43).
-Capital converts a fourth and five on a run by Assman. The quarterback runs to the Heidelberg 17.
Fox scores on a sweep. Kick is good. (4:51)
Capital 38, Heidelberg 17
-Capital has outscored Heidelberg 22-0 in the fourth quarter.
No comments posted for this article.
Post a Comment