Huron County barn fire
Crews responded to a barn fire at 5975 Old Military Road in Huron County Wednesday afternoon.
Chief Lonnie Jaynes of Attica-Venice-Reed Fire District said what initially started the fire was a combine inside the structure that had caught on fire. The fire then spread to the rafters and trusses in the ceiling, he said.
Jaynes said there were heavy smoke conditions when crews arrived at the scene. Firefighters made entry into the barn and fought the fire from the interior, he said.
It took crews about an hour to put out the fire, Jaynes said. He said after the fire was extinguished, the combine was removed from the building so crews could complete overhaul and crews were at the scene for about two hours completing overhaul and investigating.
Personnel used about 1,000 gallons of water to put the fire out, Jaynes said
He said the cause of the fire was an electrical malfunction in the combine.
“We believe it was probably animals chewing on wires that caused a short,” Jaynes said.
Nobody was in the structure at the time of the fire and nobody was injured, he said.
The property is owned by August and Carol Stacklin, according to the Huron County Auditor’s Office website. Jaynes said the total loss estimate was about $90,000.
Numerous pieces of farm equipment had smoke and heat damage, he said.
Jaynes said Willard Fire Department was dispatched to the scene, but was canceled en route.
The fire was reported at 4:22 p.m. and Attica-Venice-Reed Fire District, Huron River Joint Fire District, and Attica-Venice-Reed EMS District responded to the scene.