Plaque memorializes former school
BLOOMVILLE — Bloomville Mayor Dave Auble Jr. presented a plaque to council members Wednesday night noting the site and a picture of the former Bloom Township School. The plaque is to be mounted on a large rock at the corner of the former school property.
Several upcoming activities were announced:
• Starting Sunday, The Seneca Witch Haunted Woods on SR 19 is to be open 7-11 p.m. weekends until the end of October.
• The American Legion’s Hog Roast runs noon-6 p.m. Sept. 29.
• Christian author Liz Darnell from Bloomville penned “Moving Forward with God” and has a book signing at Rose Marie’s Eats and Treats 6-7:30 p.m. Oct. 6.
• Autumnfest at Garlo Heritage Nature Preserve on SR 19 is noon-4 p.m. Oct. 7 with children’s activities, wagon rides, puppet show, Indian artifacts and bratwurst and sauerkraut. The event is sponsored by Friends of Seneca County Park District.
• Bliss Memorial Public Library has scheduled its kids’ Halloween party 1-3 p.m. Oct. 27 at the Bloom Township firehouse with fun and games planned.
Council set 6-7:30 p.m. Oct. 31 for trick-or-treat in the village. Cider and donuts are to be available for all participants at the firehouse following beggars’ night.
Street Superintendent Rick Dentinger reported the electricity is off at the park and facilities have been winterized. He plans to paint the swimming pool steps next year.
In other business, council:
• Paid bills.
• Questioned the definition of a “dilapidated structure.”
• Adopted a resolution accepting the amounts and rates set by the budget commission, authorizing the necessary tax levies and certifying them to the county auditor.
• Heard the second reading of the ordinance establishing a 1 percent income tax in the village.
• Discussed future legislation regarding generator use.
• Changing the Public Entity Pool Insurance agent from Dayton to Tiffin.
Council is to meet at 7 p.m.