Crews respond to Miami St. fire

PHOTO BY JILL GOSCHE Tiffin Fire Rescue Division personnel work at the scene of a fire on Miami Street Wednesday night.

Crews responded to a house fire at 567 Miami St. Wednesday night.

Chief Kevin Veletean of Tiffin Fire Rescue Division said a woman and two children were home at the time of the fire and were able to get out safely. He said there was fire in the attic when crews got there and there was high heat and smoke conditions above the living room.

Veletean said personnel used an interior attack to fight the fire. It took about 10 minutes to put the fire out and crews remained on scene for about an hour putting out hotspots, completing overhaul and conducting its investigation, he said.

He said the fire originated in the attic and it was caused by an electrical malfunction.

Veletean said nobody was injured in the fire.

The family was displaced and was staying with family, he said. The property is owned by Jennifer Everhart and Martha Meggitt, according to the Seneca County Auditor’s Office website.

Veletean said the total loss estimate was about $12,500.

Clinton Township Volunteer Fire Department was contacted for mutual aid and was cancelled enroute to the scene, he said.

The fire was reported at 9:03 p.m.

COMMENTS