Crews respond to garage fire

PHOTO BY JACOB GURNEY Crews work at the scene of a garage fire at 58 S. Marion St., Bloomville, Friday afternoon.

BLOOMVILLE — Crews responded to a garage fire at 58 S. Marion St. Friday afternoon.

Assistant Chief Jay Hoy of Bloom Township Volunteer Fire Department said a woman at the home plugged in a pool filter into an outlet off the deck, the outlet started smoking and then flames were showing. He said the woman and a neighbor used a fire extinguisher to put the fire out.

When crews arrived, the power already had been shut off, Hoy said.

He said personnel pulled sheeting off the wall and pulled out insulation and spent the rest of the time conducting its investigation. Crews were at the scene for about 50 minutes, according to a Seneca County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman.

Hoy said nobody was injured in the fire.

The fire was caused by an electrical short, he said.

The property is owned by Craig and Jill Turek, according to the Seneca County Auditor’s Office website.

Hoy said siding, the outlet and some insulation were damaged and the total loss estimate was $2,500-$3,000.

The sheriff’s office spokeswoman said Scipio-Republic Fire Department and Attica-Venice-Reed Fire District were dispatched and canceled enroute.

The fire was reported at 2:39 p.m. and Bloom Township Volunteer Fire Department and Bloomville EMS responded to the scene.

COMMENTS