Kitchen fire contained to stove

Plastic bowls on a stove caught fire Wednesday morning.

The fire at 111 Gail Lane was reported about 8:45 a.m., according to a Tiffin Police Department report.

Chief Kevin Veletean of Tiffin Fire Rescue Division said the fire in the kitchen was contained to the stove.

Veletean said Lt. Jason Windsor of Tiffin Police Department was able to use a fire extinguisher on the fire before firefighters arrived.

“(It) knocked a lot of it down,” he said.

Veletean said the occupant of the home was able to get out and was standing with police officers outside when fire crews arrived. Smoke was coming out of the front door of the house, he said.

“She had inadvertently turned on the wrong burner,” he said.

It caught plastic bowls that were sitting on the burner on fire, he said.

Veletean said firefighters ventilated the house, and he estimated they were at the scene for half an hour.

The resident was not displaced, and no one was hurt, he said.

The property is owned by Rose Mary Widman, according to the Seneca County Auditor’s Office’s website.

COMMENTS