Crews respond to detached garage fire

PHOTO BY JACOB GURNEY Crews work to extinguish a detached garage fire at 149 W. Davis St. Saturday evening.

A detached garage burned on West Davis Street Saturday evening.

The fire at 149 W. Davis St. was reported about 6 p.m.

Chief Kevin Veletean of Tiffin Fire Rescue Division said when crews arrived at the scene, fire was coming through the roof of a garage. It took about 15 minutes to put out the bulk of the fire and the department remained on scene for an hour to extinguish the fire, conduct overhaul and complete its investigation, he said.

Veletean said the fire started in the garage and was caused by three people playing with gasoline and a lighter. Officer Drew Westenbarger of Tiffin Police Department said it was two youths and an adult and charges were pending. He said the incident was under investigation Saturday night.

Veletean said one person received a minor burn on his leg while trying to extinguish the fire, and was treated at the scene. The three people in the garage were able to get out and call 911, he said.

PHOTO BY JACOB GURNEY Crews work to extinguish a detached garage fire at 149 W. Davis St. Saturday evening.

The property is owned by Gurtha Marker, according to the Seneca County Auditor’s Office website.

Veletean said the total loss estimate was about $5,000. Deputy Chief Rob Chappell of Tiffin Fire Rescue Division said two other garages close to the fire received minor damage from heat.

Tiffin Police Department assisted at the scene.

COMMENTS