Crews respond to Attica fire
ATTICA — Crews responded to a woodburner fire at 16977 E. TR 88 Wednesday afternoon.
Safety Officer Bob Bisignano of Attica-Venice-Reed Fire District said crews found a fire that wasn’t too far up in the chimney when they arrived. A woodburner was being used when smoke started coming out of one of the flues in the basement, he said.
“The chimney had a build-up of creosol, which is what started the fire,” Bisignano said.
Personnel used carbon dioxide extinguishers to put out the fire and the chimney box was cleaned out and the wood was removed, he said. The bulk of the fire was put out in 10 to 15 minutes, Bisignano said.
Because of the steep roof and wind conditions, it was too dangerous for personnel to fight the fire from the top of the chimney, he said.
Bisignano said there were two people in the house at the time of the fire, but they were able to get out. The two people were checked at the scene, but were not transported and nobody was injured, he said.
Bisignano said there wasn’t any loss estimate other than having to get the chimney professionally cleaned.
“Most of the smoke was down in the basement,” he said.
The property is owned by Douglas Dean and Edith Zack, according to the Seneca County Auditor’s Office website.
The fire was reported at 2:07 p.m. and Attica-Venice-Reed Fire District, Bloom Township Volunteer Fire Department, Attica-Venice-Reed EMS District and the Echo unit responded to the scene.