Fire forces classes to St. Wendelin
FOSTORIA — Cleanup is under way at Fostoria Junior/Senior High School after a fire in the boiler room Tuesday morning.
In addition to cleaning by Cleaner & Dryer Co. of Toledo, the district announced Thursday that seventh- and eighth-grade students will be moved to the St. Wendelin School building.
“Until the process gets further along, we are not ready to provide details, such as start date and transportation,” Superintendent Andrew Sprang said in a statement posted to the district’s Facebook page. “At this point in time, we are close to having a place for our 9-12 grade students and are continuing to finalize the details.”
The fire was contained to the boiler room. Smoke spread through the building’s ductwork. According to Sprang, the fire appears to have been electrical and resulted in the loss of power to the district servers and phone systems.
According to Sprang, 90 people will be at the school today to expand cleanup efforts. The team is to begin working around the clock from Saturday until cleanup is completed. An independent air quality test is to be completed before the building reopens.
Sprang said in the statement that plans are being finalized and more information is to be announced as it becomes available.
“The days and weeks ahead are going to be a challenge, but if we all come together to support one another, a bad situation can be a positive one for our school district and community,” Sprang said in the statement. “I ask for patience over the next few days as we work to develop the best plan possible to restart the educational process.”