New Riegel Board of Education looking to fill vacancy
NEW RIEGEL — New Riegel Board of Education members discussed a vacancy available on the board. A fifth member needs to be chosen by Jan. 30.
Candidates must be a resident of the school district and a registered voter. Interested parties may email Board President Scott Hohman at shohman@newriegel
schools.org or contact Superintendent Dave Rombach or Treasurer Jane Schalk at (419) 595-2256 by Dec. 15.
Repairs to the roof over the office area should be completed within two weeks. Landscaping is to be done soon and grass is being seeded in back of the building. Broken sidewalks and handicapped ramps have been replaced. Schalk reported $2,884,727 has been paid to John G. Johnson Construction Co. thus far for remedial repairs to the facility as a result of incomplete work when the building was erected.
Rombach announced third-graders will present their Thanksgiving play at 9 a.m. Nov. 20 and 21 for the student body and parents.
Principal Justin Johnson stated a crisis management drill took place Oct. 26. It was presented as a tabletop exercise in which teachers and students looked at several crisis scenarios and discussed the proper response to each situation. A list of best-case responses from the crisis management plan was created for teachers to use in classroom discussions.
Board members entered into executive session to discuss employment of a public employee, with no action taken.
In other business, the board:
• Conducted a hearing on the proposed calendar for 2018-19.
• Approved the treasurer’s report as submitted.
• Amended fiscal year 2018 appropriations.
• Transferred $145,599.99 from the General Fund to the bond retirement fund-2017 series.
• Approved a three-year position bond for the superintendent and board president of $20,000 each through Hylant Administrative Services.
• Approved the salaried wage schedule for the transportation director/assistant maintenance effective Oct. 30.
• Approved placing Mark Theis on the transportation director/assistant maintenance salary wage schedule effective Oct. 30.
• Accepted extra-curricular position resignations for the 2017-18 school year.
• Approved the extra-curricular contracts for the 2017-18 school year.
• Approved Kendra Coots as cafeteria server/cook for the school year effective Oct. 16.
• Approved Barb Garcia as a non-certified substitute for the school year.
• Approved Lucas Brickner as volunteer junior high boys basketball coach for the year.
• Approved Bee-Safe LLC to provide security at boys basketball games at a rate of $22 per hour for the season.
• Approved a fundraiser.
The board of education is to meet again at 7 p.m. Dec. 11.