Fire forces school evacuation

PHOTO BY JILL GOSCHE A Tiffin Fire Rescue Division crew works at the scene of an oven fire at Washington K-1 Thursday.

Tiffin Fire Rescue Division responded to Washington K-1, 151 Elmer St., for an oven fire Thursday morning.

Chief Kevin Veletean of Tiffin Fire Rescue Division said there was an alarm at the school. The fire was contained to an oven in the kitchen, he said.

Veletean said a kitchen staff member saw the fire and pulled the alarm.

When the department arrived, the school had evacuated and everyone was outside, he said. Veletean said nobody was injured.

He said the department was on scene for about 15 minutes.

The fire was caused by an oven malfunction, he said.

The school might have to replace the oven and the loss is estimated at less than $500, Veletean said.

The fire was reported at 11:37 a.m.

COMMENTS