TCS teachers’ agreement OK’d
A tentative three-year collective bargaining agreement with the Tiffin Education Association was approved by the Tiffin City Board of Education Tuesday evening.
The previous agreement expired June 30.
The new agreement, approved by the teachers’ association, is to include salary and wage increases.
A 2 percent increase was effective July 1; a 1.5 percent increase takes effect July 1, 2015; and a 1 percent increase takes effect July 1, 2016.
Board member Chris Widman said the prior three-year agreement included no pay increases.
“During the negotiations, the teachers presented themselves very professionally and the agreement set before us is fair from both sides,” Widman said.
During the meeting, the board also approved a three-year proposal with Lifetouch for photography needs for grades pre-K through eight.
Board members were introduced to new staff members, including Celeste Duncan, Lauren Stultz, Ryan Ottney, Mollie Martin, Devan Toncler and Jaime Steele.
During public comment, Tiffin residents Robyn Vicek and Wendy Rosen voiced opposition to the opening of the Lincoln building as a pre-school for the district.
Rosen said although the proposed savings to go toward renovations and equipment, the board hasn’t presented a budget.
“Tiffin City Schools is obligated to provide an IEP for our children with special needs that provides a free, appropriate public education that meets the unique needs of our children. The school system cannot predetermine placement, nor can they require attendance in a district school. It is ultimately up to the parents as to where they choose to send their child with special needs to preschool, not the Tiffin City Schools’ administration or board,” Vicek said.
In other news the board approved school lunch prices for the 2014-15 school year. For K- Grade 8, prices are to be $2.10 and for grades 9-12, $2.60. Milk is to remain at 50 cents and the salad bar is to cost $3.
In other news, the board:
- Heard committee reports.
- Accepted donations.
- Approved a transportation agreement with Jenifer Heck for the 2014-15 school year.
- Approved an agreement to transport students to The Center for Autism and Dyslexia in Findlay.
- Agreed to open competitive bidding for bus purchasing.
- Approved a pilot SpringBoard math program for Columbian High School for the 2014-15 school year.
- Approved changes in job descriptions for the assistant high school principal, gifted coordinator and special education supervisor.
- Approved a health course for Columbian High School.
- Approved bus route assignments.
- Approved bus stops for the 2014-15 school year.
- Approved work schedules for administrators and supervisors for the 2014-15 school year, including Bob Boes, Randy Conger, Scott Daniel, Greg DeVore, Marisa Brown, Doug Hartenstein, Derek Lewis, Shawn Murphy, Mike Newlove, Sharon Perry, Jeremy Koppus, Mark Verroco and Kelly Stahl.
- Approved a lease agreement with MT Business Technologies Inc. for copiers in the elementary buildings at a cost of $1,989.
- Approved a purchase service contract with Aspex Solutions at a cost of $3,300 to utilize AppliTrack Recruiting to manage the employment application process.
- Approved a high school text book for honors chemistry.
- Approved a Virtual High School contract.
- Approved a contract with Houghton Mifflin Harcour for professional development.
- Approved a contract with the North Central Ohio Educational Service Center for extended school year preschool not to exceed eight hours at a cost of $52.36 per hour June 5-Aug. 8, 2014.
- Approved non-licensed contracts for Vince Arnold and Royd Warrend to serve as volunteers for girls soccer.
- Approved a purchase service agreement with the NCOESC for FileMaker database services at a cost of $70 per hour, not to exceed $2,940.
- Approved a college access program with Terra State Community College for the 2014-15 school year at a cost of $6,000, the same as the 2013-14 school year.
The board entered into executive session to discuss employment of a public employee. No action was taken.
The next regular meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. Aug. 26 in the cafetorium of Tiffin Middle School, 103 Shepherd Drive.