Group donates 1,100 detectors
More than 1,100 smoke detectors are to be delivered to elementary students at Tiffin City Schools today and Monday on behalf of the Safe Homes for Families Fund Tiffin Chapter.
Chad Corfman of Tiffin Firefighters Local 322 said the smoke detectors, which were delivered Thursday to Tiffin Fire and Rescue Division, were purchased through donations made to the Safe Homes for Families Fund Tiffin Chapter. The chapter was established by Tiffin Firefighters Local 322, Tiffin City Schools and Seneca County Family and Children First Council shortly after a Sept. 15 trailer fire at Highland Mobile Home Park claimed the lives of five children and one man.
Corfman said the chapter was modeled after the Safe Homes for Families Fund in Attica.
“Most families don’t have enough detectors,” Corfman said. “You want the smoke detector to find the fire, not the fire to find the smoke detector.”
Corfman said First Alert made a major donation to the fund and several donations followed.
Sharon George, director of Family and Children First, worked with Tiffin Columbian Connections, a group of freshmen and sophomores, to organize fundraising and distribution of the smoke detectors. She said she and the students met once a week and the project helped fulfill the students’ community service requirement.
“I thought it was a pretty good program,” said Columbian sophomore Trey Fresch, who served on the marketing sub-committee for the chapter.
Fresch said he plans to participate in the project again next year.
George said the smoke detectors will be sorted and delivered to each classroom to ensure every family gets one.
She said next year, she would like the project to reach the middle school.
“We hope to keep it up,” she said.
Corfman said anyone who would like to donate to the Safe Homes fund for next year’s project can visit Tiffin Fire Department, 53 S. Monroe St.