Officer poked by used needle

A Tiffin Police officer sought medical attention Monday after he was poked by a used needle while responding to a heroin overdose.

Tiffin Police Chief Fred Stevens said the officer, who had been summoned to the 200 block of South Monroe Street just before 7:15 a.m. for a heroin overdose, accidentally poked his finger with a needle while he was attempting to collect it as evidence. Stevens said the needle had come through the cap of a plastic container that is used to hold sharps. He had been wearing rubber medical gloves, Stevens said

The officer was tested for communicable diseases and will have follow-up bloodwork every few months, Stevens said.

He said the individual who overdosed on heroin was transported to the hospital. Police still are investigating the overdose, and no charges have been filed yet in connection to it.