Park board OKs endowment
Seneca County park board approved paperwork regarding donating or bequeathing money to the Seneca County Park District through Tiffin Charitable Foundation during its meeting Tuesday afternoon.
The board also agreed to appoint a committee to make recommendations to the board after money is available for use.
Committee members also are to speak to service organizations about the fund and to distribute brochures about the endowment fund to attorneys’ offices, funeral homes, banks, financial advisers and other places where people might be thinking of donations and estate planning.
Board member Jim Nordholt volunteered to be the board’s liaison with the foundation.
After an initial donation of $5,000 and several additional contributions, the fund already is growing. Friends of the Seneca County Park District agreed at its last meeting to roll over two CDs into the fund.
Board member Bill McAllister said publicizing the endowment fund dovetails with the district’s soon-to-be-completed strategic plan, which emphasizes the need for marketing and awareness of the park district.
Board member Roland Zimmerman said Thursday or Friday has been selected as a work day at Zimmerman Nature Preserve to remove debris forming a dam in Willow Creek between the preserve and the bull farm on the other side. Employees of the bull farm and park district volunteers are to work on the cleanup.
Board Chairman Carl Miller said Linda Rose, administrator of Out & About Preschool, is seeking approval to add a second restroom at the nature center which houses the preschool so more children can be enrolled in the program.
In other business, the board:
- Heard there was $28,335 in all park district accounts at the end of March, an increase of $3,500 from February because of a donation from the Friends organization to purchase a trailer to transport and house a lawn mower.
- Heard the district received a $750 grant from a TCF fund to buy a science table, equipment and supplies, and $800 from an individual to help with the cost of surveillance equipment the board is considering purchasing.
- Reviewed plans for a driveway and parking lot in the new area of Forrest Nature Preserve.
- Heard an Eagle Scout candidate is planning to build steps up the side of a hill at Forrest preserve.
- Was reminded a dedication ceremony and open house is planned 1-4 p.m. May 18 for the park district’s new partnership with Fostoria’s Geary Family YMCA facility on SR 18 between Bascom and Fostoria.
- Heard a new gate the board authorized at its last meeting has been installed at Steyer Nature Preserve.
The board is to meet at 7 p.m. May 14 in the basement conference room of the RTA Building.