Window burns at TU house

Occupants briefly left a Tiffin University house as Tiffin Fire Rescue Division personnel extinguished a fire Saturday night.

The fire at 238 Clay St. was reported at 9:15 p.m., a Tiffin Police Department spokeswoman said.

Chief Bill Ennis of Tiffin Fire Rescue Division said light smoke was showing when firefighters arrived at the scene. It was a slow, smoldering fire, he said.

Ennis said the fire probably started from a cigarette, but officials could not confirm it.

The fire started on the lower left side of the front window and went up along the side of the window. There was no damage to the living room or the house’s contents, he said.

There was slight smoke damage in the basement, he said.

“(There was) not a lot of fire damage. TU will just have to weatherproof the house,” he said.

Occupants were to be able to stay in the house Saturday night.

Ennis said there were people in the house at the time of the fire, but he did not know how many. All of the residents were out of the house when firefighters arrived, he said.

No one was injured.

Tiffin Police Department personnel assisted at the scene.