Electrical fire destroys home of 8

An East TR 126 residence was destroyed after an electrical fire broke out in a detached garage Tuesday afternoon.

Brett Meyers, chief of Attica-Venice-Reed Fire District, said the fire started after a space heater was knocked over in the garage of 14375 E. TR 126. He said an animal likely knocked over the heater, which was an older model space heater that doesn’t turn off when it’s knocked over.

Meyers said the two adults and six children who lived at the mobile home were not at the residence at the time, but one of the residents reported it after seeing the fire as they drove down the road. Meyers said he believed a dog inside the residence was killed as a result of the fire.

He said two pick-up trucks parked at the residence also caught fire, which was reported at 3:14 p.m. He estimated damage to the single-story residence and its contents around $55,000.

According to Seneca County Sheriff’s Office reports, AVR firefighters were assisted at the scene by Attica EMS and Republic firefighters.

Meyers said no injuries were reported, and the Red Cross was contacted to assist the residents.