Man surprised to be forced from home

A man displaced from his McCutchenville home Wednesday after a gasoline leak was reported at a gas station in the village said Thursday night he was back in his residence.

Jeremy Walton, who was able to return to his home around 2 p.m. Thursday, said he stayed with his parents in Sycamore after being evacuated from his residence around 7 p.m. Wednesday.

“I smelled some (gas) earlier in the day, but I wasn’t sure what it was,” Walton said of the gas leak. “Then a firefighter came and told us we had to evacuate.”

Walton said he was shocked to hear of the gas leak, and said nothing like that had happened in the 16 years he’s lived at the residence.

He said before leaving his residence Wednesday, he had to turn off all pilot lights. When he returned to his home Thursday, the temperature inside was 35 degrees, he said.

“I was worried about pipes freezing,” he said. “It was getting close.”

Walton said the fire department checked his residence and gave him the OK to return. He said most of the gasoline odor had been in his basement.

“The smell wasn’t very bad upstairs,” he said.

Walton said he had to take a vacation day Thursday, but his work understood the situation.