Extension cord causes house fire

A Water Street residence suffered damage after a fire broke out in one of its bedrooms Tuesday evening.

Capt. Ben Nutter of Tiffin Fire Rescue Division said the fire, reported at 329 Water St. around 5:30 p.m., started in a second-floor bedroom and most of the damage was confined to the room. He said contents in the room had started on fire.

Kevin Veletean, an investigator for Tiffin Fire Rescue Division, said the cause of the fire was a coiled-up extension cord and the fire has been ruled accidental. Veletean said the fire was out within five to 10 minutes of firefighters’ arrival.

Nutter said the bedroom suffered fire, smoke and water damage, and the rest of the house had water and smoke damage.

Nutter said he believed the damage was repairable, but the eight residents wouldn’t be able to stay in the house Tuesday night. He said the Red Cross was contacted to assist the residents.

Veletean said no injuries were reported.

Veletean said residents should take safety measure when using extension cords, such as making sure to use properly gauged extension cords.